When Prima launched the new Finnabair mixed media art mediums I think the entire mixed media and scrapbooking community were relieved to be honest! Here was something new and exciting and accessible to everyone – those who want to dabble in more adventurous waters or those who want to just play around with a bit more texture.
For me it is a bit of both – I want to be able to create mixed media pieces to experiment and play, but also to use it on my layouts, cards and Project Life cards. So today I created a mixed media block, working directly onto a piece of wood using my favourite art mediums from Prima and some additional embellishments.
How I created the mixed media base of my block[custom_list type=”dot”]
- STEP 1: I started off my applying a layer of Texture Paste White Sand, combined with some Modelling Paste Opaque white and some Gold Crackle texture Paste. I applied all 3 mediums using the same palette knife covering sections at a time and then overlapping them all to ensure full coverage of my wooden block.
- STEP 2: Lightly sprinkle some Mulberry coloured Mica flakes onto the textured surface and lightly press the flakes into the paste, I also added some more modelling paste to capture the flakes inside of a layer of paste.
- STEP 3: I used the Tea Stain Color Bloom mist to add colour to my chipboard clock and left it to dry.
- STEP 4: For my wooden black, I wanted to add colour so I used two colours of Color Bloom combined on top of the Modelling paste and crackle paste and sand texture paste – just liberally mist the block and leave it to dry completely.
TIP: Once the mists are dry, the surface feels a bit tacky, so I added a light spray of fixative to set everything and seal it in.
To finish off my block I added some Prima flowers and embellishments. To adhere everything to my block I used my Tombow Mono Multi – and it worked perfectly.
A fun project completed in a few hours – with loads of texture and interest. I really loved working with these high quality products – perfect in every way.
Have you used Prima’s mixed media art mediums yet? Please let me know what you created.
- PM 961473 Finnabair Art Extravagance Texture Paste – White Sand
- PM 961558 Finnabair Art Extravagance Texture Paste – Gold Crackle
- PM 961411 Finnabair Art Basics Modeling Paste
- PM 961725 Finnabair Art Ingredients Mica – Mulberry
- PM 573768 Color Bloom Spray – Storm Cloud
- PM 573805 Color Bloom Spray – Gold Foil
- PM 573836 Color Bloom Spray – Tea Stain
- Tombow Mono Multi Glue [TB 62191]
- Celebr8 Layered Chippies, Prima Flowers, Prima Embellishments