To ink or not to ink? Or rather how to ink is a better question these days. Over the years things have changed quite a bit and for the better regarding inking the edges of your patterned papers.
I personally prefer a light inking, a soft touch that does not distract the eye but rather adds to the overall look and feel of your project. If inking is all you see, then perhaps a lighter hand or ink colour may just be what you need.
Your basic tools that you will need are personal preference, but here are some of my favourites and my everyday go to. Memento Dew Drop Inks in Espresso Truffle and Toffee Crunch, sponge daubers, and jumbo daubers.
For a slightly darker inking edge I use the Espresso and a sponge dauber. Ink the dauber by moving it on your ink pad in circular movements to pick up the ink. Then lightly swipe it across the edge of your paper or cardstock.
To get a light inked edge use the Toffee crunch to ink.
A simple sponge applicator works well to – I make mine out of old fashioned rubber stamps that belonged to my dad and simple add a sponge to the front using Velcro.
To get the best of both worlds have you tried double inking before? First ink the edges with the Espresso and then go back and ink the Toffee over the Espresso. The light coloured ink softens the dark brown beautiful and gives a really interesting effect.
Tips and tricks:
- Inking this way takes away the frustration of ink pads coming apart from the base. This happens most commonly with pigment ink pads like VersaMagic. The swiping motion of using the ink pads itself to ink the sharply cut edges of the paper cuts into the ink pad and the motion causes the top to come apart from the base.
- Using a dye ink to ink the edges, and applied with a dauber will make your ink last a lifetime. The hard work is done by the tool, in this case a dauber and not the ink pad itself.
- Dye ink pads can just be re-inked when they become dry making them really economical.
- Remember that dye inks pads when new will give you a really dark inking, so be light with the inking of your dauber, and have a light touch when inking too.
- The older the dye ink pad gets the nicer the inking becomes – lighter and softer.
In the end, this is a really great way to get the most out of your products. All you will ever have to replace is your dauber.
- TMD-800 Memento Dew Drop Ink Pad – Rich Cocoa
- TMD-804 Memento Dew Drop Ink Pad – Desert Sand
- TML-805 Memento LUXE Ink Pad – Toffee Crunch
- TML-808 Memento LUXE Ink Pad – Espresso Truffle
- TST-002 Tsukineko Jumbo Dauber
- ADCO 723623 Couture Creations Sponge Daubers (6 Pack)
Post by The Wholesaler’s Designer Jowilna Nolte.
We are very proud to introduce you to our first designer, Jowilna Nolte. Jowilna is a true creative and she will be sharing some of her passion and creativity with you.
Read more about Jowilna here.[/author_info] [/author]