I love the beautiful rich colours of Halloween – the oranges and purples combined with black makes for a classic combination. The rich hues of the colour palette combined with the beautiful patterns of the Cuttlebug Halloween themed embossing folders lies at the core of this week’s project.
I made a Halloween door plaque with a playful and fun theme that is not too scary for the little trick or treaters come Halloween. I started off with a wooden board painted in dark brown to use as a base. I then embossed small scraps of patterned papers using a variety of Halloween embossing folders and inked them using black, orange and purple ink pads. To add some shimmer to the embossed papers I sprayed them with a pigment pearl spray before adhering them to the wooden board. The little die-cut skeleton forms the focal point of the door plaque.
I love how Halloween can bring out the fun in crafting and decorating at the same time. This season offers lots of cross pollination of your crafting supplies into your home décor.
How to create your Halloween door plaque[custom_list type=”dot”]
- Use a piece of scrap wood or have a piece cut at your local hardware store the size you want it.
- Cut scraps of patterned papers into smaller sizes –mine are about 3×3.5”. Emboss the papers using a variety of themed embossing folders.
- Use 3 different colours of ink and ink the edges of the embossed papers. I inked mine darker on the outside and lighter on the inside.
- Adhere the embossed papers onto the wood. I used my Tombow Mono Multi for this step.
- Lightly mist the entire piece using pigment powder mist in a pearl colour.
- Die-cut your focal point image and assemble using Tombow mono multi glue. Remember that less is more. Assemble and finish off using diamante and other embellishments.
- Instead of inking the patterned papers in different colours, opt for a single colour ink to mimic the look of tiles. For a smaller project emboss your tiles in both embossing folders and clear embossing powder for a more authentic glazed tile look.
- Cuttlebug Machine [PC 2000293]
- Cuttlebug Emboss Set (4 Piece) – Decorative Tile [PC 2001395]
- Cuttlebug Emboss 5×7 – Chicken Wire [PC 2001398]
- Cuttlebug Emboss 5×7 – Haunted Damask [PC 2001416]
- Cuttlebug Emboss Set (4 Pieces) – Midnight Hauntings [PC 2001452]
- Cuttlebug Emboss A2 – Spider Stew [PC 2001458]
- Provo Craft – Cricut Expressions 2 Machine [PC 2001302]
- Provo Craft – Lite Cricut Cartridge – Trick or Treat [PC 2001676]
- Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue [TB 62191]
- docrafts – Anita’s 3D Clear Gloss Finish [D25401]