With Christmas fast approaching I need to get a whole lot more cards done. But with the new docrafts range of products Christmas has never been this easy or quick. Crafting is a whole more fun when you can get everything you need for every requirement you may have in one place. The Wholesaler offers you loads of choices with the new ranges of Christmas goodies – so all you need to do is choose and create.
This week I am focusing on the Home for Christmas range of products. In the range you will find a huge selection of papers, ribbons, stamps, and toppers that can be used for quick and easy cards and gifts. The papers are high quality firm thicker paper which turned out to be perfect to use as a card base eliminating the need for plain cardstock – apart from matting the odd element or two. I really liked working with this paper (a new favourite). The other thing that drew my attention to this range was the fact that although it is Christmas themed, some of the designs can be used for other themes as well making it really versatile. ‘Cause let’s face it, unless you use up all those papers for Christmas cards and the odd layout no-one really wants to revisit and re-use old Christmas papers. But now your stash can be used for skiing holidays and even valentines.
Christmas Easel Card
For my card I used the very popular easel card design. For the festive season this type of card is a real showstopper. A bonus is that your work of art can be displayed throughout the holidays with little effort. Easel cards are designed to stand by themselves making special card displays unnecessary. So here’s how I did it…
- Create the base section. Cut a strip of cardstock 6×12” so that the design runs vertically from the top to the bottom.
- Fold the strip of patterned paper in half so that it measures 6×6”.
- Open up the folded card and fold the top half of the strip in half to measure 6×3”. Your strip of paper will now have two folded lines on it.
- Cut another piece of the same patterned paper to measure 6×6”. This will become the front part of your card design.
- Decorate the front of your card using various patterned papers to create layers. I used 2 patterned and a plain recycled craft cardstock for mine. This all sits on top of the first patterned paper I cut measuring 6×6”.
- Adhere the decorative card front to your folded base. Mountain fold the top part of your base so that the 6×3” part with the pattern on top is visible. Add double sided tape to this part only. Then adhere your front 6×6” panel flush with the top.
- Decorate the inside of your card. Make sure that there is a piece of paper or embellishments like buttons, diamante, pearls or matted elements so that the front of your card will catch against the embellishments and so it will be kept in an upright position.
How to colour the stamped holly leaves using the Artiste Dual tip Brush Markers
Stamp the images you want to colour onto plain white cardstock using a permanent dye ink.
TIP: Using a dye ink will prevent the ink from smudging or running when painting with water.
Use the Brush tip of the marker and transfer colour onto a piece of acrylic/palette. Use the flat side of the marker tip and scribble colour onto the block.
Mist the ink with water so that the colours are visible. The more water the more transparent your colour will be.
Use a small paint brush to paint your holly leaves. Since you are cutting around the image this is the one time I don’t mind colouring outside the lines.
Combine 2 or 3 shades of green together on a single leaf to create a realistic effect. Using more than one colour will give a realistic watercolour look to your images rather than a flat coloured in look.
- docrafts – Boofle Christmas Die Cut Toppers – Let it Snow [DBOF157115]
- docrafts – Home For Christmas Ribbon (6x 1m) [DPMA367140]
- docrafts – Home For Christmas Die Cut Toppers [DPMA157916]
- docrafts – Home For Christmas 12×12 Paper Pack [DPMA160914]
- docrafts – Home for Christmas 6×6 Paper Pack [DPMA160916]
- docrafts – Home for Christmas 6×6 Urban Stamp – Baubles [DPMA907156]
- docrafts – Artiste Dual Tip Brush Markers (12 Pack) – Pastel [DDOA851102]
- Couture Creations – Glitzin’ Glamour Glitter Glue Red [ADCO 721979]
- Glue Dots Pop Up [GD12296-75]
- Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue [TB 62191]